Saturday, December 23, 2006

Deep Sh*t

I believe the official depth for Boulder was 30" in the "Blizzard of 2006." Whatever it was, it took me a full hour to shovel our sidewalks. It was pretty fluffy though so I only got a minor hernia.

A little morning alpenglow action. Technically a work day but I wasn't quite ready to ride the bike to Lafayette and our fine German and Japanese automobiles were not going to be of much help either. When the buses stop running...so do I. So a hearty thanks to Mother Nature for my first snow day in a very long time. Much appreciated.


These are actually pictures from a day after the storm and are exactly why I love Colorado and don't mind the snow. Sure, we got 2.5 feet in 24 hours and thousands of people got stranded...but it was basically a bluebird day the next morning. Busted out the old snowshoes and went for a 2+ hour run/hike/slog up around Wonderland Lake and then Dakota Ridge to the Sanitas Trailhead to Red Rocks and then back through Mapleton to N. Boulder Park where it looked like an Olympic cross-country course. There literally must have been 100 people skiing around the various tracks in the park.

This is actually Mt. Sanitas in the above photo taken from our front porch. I didn't do the summit the other day so I think I will get up there today. It usually takes about 15 minutes to get to the northern Dakota Ridge trail and then another 15 or so to bust up the front side of Sanitas to the summit but I have a feeling it will take a lot longer this time.

The Silver Bullet may not see much action for a while. Believe it or not there is actually a car under there. Good thing there is a nice view of the Flatirons at least. I'll dig it out next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that snow... it's encredible! that 's where i want to be..., but what happened to the SNOW PATROL?! how we can chase the cars in this Deep Sh*t?! Merry Christmas to all and good night!!!
-----------------------------------
can U make your pampkin look and feel more happy?! PLEASE!