Thursday, February 15, 2007

Not That There's Anything Wrong With It...Unless You Are Tim Hardaway

Okay, by now most of us have probably heard former NBA player Tim Hardaway's mind-blowingly ignorant comments regarding gay players in the NBA and well...I guess basic issues of tolerance and acceptance. The point guard most remembered for his contribution to the Run TMC squad of the Golden State Warriors back in the late '80's and early '90's (that's 1980's and 1990's for those who thought he may have played a hundred years ago) had some pretty interesting things to say on Dan LeBatard's radio program yesterday.


In case you haven't heard, Mr. Hardaway will not likely be running for office in San Francisco any time soon. His statement (unfortunately...I'm not making this up) was, "You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States.''

Okay...at first I thought it might just be unacceptable in the world, but then he goes and tells me that it has no place in the United States either. Man...I thought we were in the clear for all kinds of gayness in the U.S. there for a minute. Guess not.


Our good friends at Deadspin absolutely nailed the most amazing element of Timmy's hatred. When you listen to the whole interview, what's most amusing (or appalling) is just how flippant Hardaway is about it; he's just matter-of-fact about the whole thing. "Hey, I hate gay people ... who doesn't, right? Who's with me?" Considering the statements -- which are so over the top that it's almost hard to be offended by them; it's like getting angry at a dog for not being able to juggle -- it's pretty clear that Hardaway's future as a television commentator is over, and that David Stern is going to have him killed.

Unbelievably, Hardaway's apology for his ignorant and offensive comments was almost even more ignorant and offensive than the original comments themselves.

"There are more important things to worry about than my comments. We should be more concerned about President (George) Bush and all the people dying in Iraq."

Wow. How's that for a little red-herring action? Way to throw us off the scent there buddy. Yeah...I guess you're right Timmy. Let's focus on the hatred and bigotry directed at the Middle East and let our own homegrown idiots speak freely and foolishly through the media. Sounds like Timmy has been taking notes in his CaveMan Rhetoric class. Sadly, these beliefs are likely what kept W in office this past election. "I don't want 'em on the basketball court with me...in the legal institution of marriage either." Sweet. What a country.

Hardaway is not the only person to think like this...just the only one dumb enough to say it on the radio.

No comments: